Short stay visa for French Polynesia, New Caledonia, etc. (TOM)
Click on each numbered categories to expand:
|The French overseas territories are :|
|Wallis and Futuna|
|St Pierre and Miquelon|
|French Austral territories|
YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries:
|D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)||Cuba||Djibouti||Dominica||Dominican Republic|
|Guinea||Guinea Bissau||Guyana||Haiti||Hong Kong (except S.A.R.)|
|Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R.)||Macedonia*||Madagascar|
|Refugees||Russia||Rwanda||Samoa||Sao Tome & Principe|
|Saudi Arabia||Senegal||Serbia*||Sierra Leone||Solomon|
|Somalia||South Africa||Sri Lanka||Sudan||Surinam|
|Tuvalu||Uganda||Ukraine||United Arab Emirates||Uzbekistan|
|United States Re-entry permit||United States Refugee Travel Doc.||Vietnam|
|*Albania, Bosnia, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Serbia: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport|
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth)
- However, if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, business or family, then you may still be required to get a visa before your departure (work, scientific research, etc.).
Diplomatic, special or official passport holders, please contact us.
NOTE: Valid United States green card holders traveling on a cruise ship (French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, Mayotte) do not need a visa if you are entering and leaving by sea.
If you are flying into the French overseas territories before and/or after taking a cruise, you need a visa.
B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
3 — Is a Schengen visa issued by a French consulate for several years valid for the French overseas territories?
It depends on the visa that was issued and your country of citizenship, please send us an e-mail with the photocopy of the Schengen visa.
About one week
Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply for your visa no earlier than 3 months before your departure date..
IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the month of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, please apply in advance.
One passport = one set of visa documents (i.e. a family of 4 visa applicants = 4 sets of visa documents)
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- TOM Application Requirements (click to download)
- (PDF - 359.3 kb)
You may apply for your visa NO EARLIER THAN 3 MONTHS before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
- NOTE: If you are invited to do research in French overseas territories, please follow the requirements for the Short stay visa for scientists, researchers, professors holding a “CONVENTION D’ACCUEIL”
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
Please note that holders of French Polynesia visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into French Polynesia.
- Children under the age of 12 are not required to be present if applying for a short stay visa (but an appointment must be booked under their name)
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”. You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- FOR MINOR APPLICANTS: a parent or guardian over the age of 18 must be present with the applicant on the day of the appointment , however the parent or guardian is not required to make an appointment.
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day or on two different dates.
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups
NOTE: Any appointments taken for a French citizen will automatically be cancelled.