Please be advised that for a more detailed information, you should switch to the French side of this website.
French citizens are elegible for a French passport.
You may apply at the Consulate General of France in Los Angeles.
- You must schedule one appointment per applicant.
- All applicants have to attend their appointment in person.
- Application and pickup require two separate appointments.
- If the website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later.
Please note that you can modify or cancel your appointment online by clicking on “Changing your appointment” on the left menu, using the corresponding link above.
Please note that for a renewal you have to bring your current French passport.
All Applicants must bring the following documents :
Proof of identity :
- Your current French passport (if expired for no more than 2 years)
- Your French birth certificate or an official French transcription of your foreign birth certificate (no older than 6 months).
Please note that if you are a French citizen born abroad and if your birth has been recorded with the French authorities, providing a birth certificate as part of your passport request is no longer necessary. The central records service (Service Central d’Etat Civil or SCEC) in Nantes is now participating in the simplification of the Civil Registry procedures.
- A valid ID (French or American ID card, French or American driving license, foreign passport)
Proof of civil status if you are planning to add your married name to your new passport (one of the following) :
- Your family record book (livret de famille)
- A French marriage certificate or an official French transcription of your foreign marriage certificate
- An updated French birth certificate or an updated official French transcription of your foreign birth certificate
Proof of residency (one of the following) :
- Property deed or lease agreement
- Utility bill (electricity, gas, water, cable)
- Property insurance
- American ID card or driving license
1 ID photo (check requirements)
Additional requirements for minors (under 18 )
If one of the parent/legal guardian cannot attend the application appointment, please provide a signed authorization to issue the passport.
All child applicants must attend the application appointment in person.
Applicants under 12 years old are not required to attend pickup appointment in person.
Usually, new passports are ready for pickup within 2 weeks following the application: an email will be sent to inform the applicants.
Please note that passports will not be mailed directly to the applicants.
- Applicants may pick up their passport at the Consulate General of France in Los Angeles.
- Applicants may pick up their passport from Honorary Consuls (San Diego, CA; Las Vegas, NV; Denver, CO; Phoenix, AZ; Albuquerque, NM). In this case, you must fill up and pay for a FedEx label the day of your passport application.
Fees may only be paid by debit card (Visa or MasterCard) or the exact amount in cash.