Short stay visa for spouses of French nationals
Do I need a visa for a short stay in France (less than 90 days) ?
YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries :
|Cape Verde||Central Africa||Chad||China|
|Comoros||Congo||D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)||Cuba||Djibouti|
|Dominican Republic||Ecuador||Egypt||Equatorial Guinea||Eritrea|
|Hong Kong (except S.A.R.*)||India||Indonesia||Iran||Iraq|
|Lesotho||Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R.)||Macedonia*|
|Palau||Palestinian Nationals||Papua New Guinea||Philippines|
|Qatar||Russia||Rwanda||Sao Tome & Principe||Solomon|
|Saudi Arabia||Senegal||Serbia*||Sierra Leone||Somalia|
|South Africa||Sri Lanka||Sudan||Surinam||Swaziland|
|Tuvalu||Uganda||Ukraine||United States Re-entry permit travel document||United States Refugee Travel Document|
|*ALBANIA, BOSNIA, MACEDONIA, MOLDAVIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport|
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth).
*HONG KONG SAR (Special Administrative Region) (dark blue passport): no visa required for a stay of 90 days or under
Note that not needing a visa for France does NOT necessarily mean that you do not need one to visit the other Schengen countries or to visit overseas territories (please check our website).
B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
Processing time depends on your citizenship :
Processing time depends on your citizenship.
No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process. About 14 to 16 days is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|Syria||United States "Re-entry permit" travel document||United States "Refugee" travel document||Yemen||Zimbabwe|
For all other nationalities who need a visa, we strongly suggest to apply at least 2 weeks before your departure. Please apply in advance, do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply for your visa NO EARLIER THAN 3 MONTHS before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, please apply in advance.
|Please note that a "PACS" (Pacte civil de solidarité) is NOT considered as a marriage.|
1 — Proof of residency in our consulate’s jurisdiction
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents:
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map)
- or a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction).
- or an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction.
2 — Original passport
Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
- Be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
3 — Proof of legal residency in the United States
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document. (+ ONE COPY)
- If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence.
NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
4 — Short stay "Schengen" visa application form
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
- Please also fill out question 31 or 32
5 — Passport photograph
6 — Proof of marriage registered by French Civil Registry
"LIVRET DE FAMILLE" (+ ONE COPY)
|You MUST obtain a "Livret de Famille" from the French authorities BEFORE you apply for a visa. No exceptions will be granted. |
If you were married in the United States, you MUST transcribe your marriage at the consulate of jurisdiction depending on the state where the marriage was celebrated. The Los Angeles consulate transcribe marriages celebrated in Southern California, Southern Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona.
For more information on how to transcribe your marriage at the French consulate, please consult this page (in French)
7 — Your recent "ACTE DE MARIAGE"
your recent French marriage certificate "acte de mariage":
- If the marriage took place in France: original of the French marriage certificate "copie intégrale de l’acte de mariage français" no older than 2 months can be requested online (+ ONE COPY)
- If the marriage took place outside of France: original of the French official transcription "copie intégrale de la transcription sur les registres de l’état civil consulaire français" no older than 6 months (processed at the French consulate who issued your Livret de Famille) can be requested online (+ ONE COPY)
8 — Proof of Spouse’s nationality
Your spouse’s original "carte nationale d’identité" or consular registration card (« carte consulaire ») or "certificat de nationalité française" or the « ampliation du décret de naturalisation ou réintégration » of your French spouse (+ ONE COPY)
9 — In order to have your passport mailed back please bring:
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill printed from the FedEx website
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground/Home" service))
DO NOT WRITE THE ADDRESS OF THE CONSULATE IN YOUR RETURN FEDEX AIRBILL
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer internet browser
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers
NOTE: FRENCH CITIZENS applying for a French passport or French ID please make an appointment at the FRENCH SECTION - DO NOT make an appointment at the VISA SECTION. Any appointments taken for a French citizen will automatically be cancelled.