Short stay visa for French Polynesia, New Caledonia, etc. (TOM)

Visa requirements to travel to French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, Mayotte, St Pierre and Miquelon or French austral territories for less than 90 days.


Click on each numbered categories to expand:

1 — What are the French overseas territories?

French Polynesia
New Caledonia
Wallis and Futuna
St Pierre and Miquelon
French Austral territories

2 — Do I need a visa to travel to French overseas territories ?

YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries:

Afghanistan Albania* Algeria Angola Armenia
Azerbaidjan Bahrein Bangladesh Belize Benin
Bhutan Belarus Bosnia* Botswana Burkina Faso
Burma Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Cape Verde
Central Africa Chad China Comoros Congo
D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre) Cuba Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic
Ecuador Egypt Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Ethiopia
Fiji Gabon Gambia Georgia Ghana
Guinea Guinea Bissau Guyana Haiti Hong Kong (except S.A.R.)
India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ivory Coast
Jamaica Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kirghizistan
Kiribati Kuwait Laos Lebanon Lesotho
Liberia Libya Macao (except S.A.R.) Macedonia* Madagascar
Malawi Maldives Mali Marshall Islands Mauritania
Micronesia Moldavia* Mongolia Montenegro* Morocco
Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Niger
Nigeria North Korea Oman Pakistan Palau
Palestinian Nationals Papua Peru Philippines Qatar
Refugees Russia Rwanda Samoa Sao Tome & Principe
Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia* Sierra Leone Solomon
Somalia South Africa Sri Lanka Sudan Surinam
Swaziland Syria Tadjikistan Taiwan* Tanzania
Thailand Togo Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan
Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan
United States Re-entry permit United States Refugee Travel Doc. Vietnam
Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
*Albania, Bosnia, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Serbia: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth)
NO, YOU DO NOT NEED A VISA if you are a citizen of the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, or countries not listed above for tourism, business or family visit. You may stay up to 90 days over a period of 6 months.
  • However, if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, business or family, then you may still be required to get a visa before your departure (work, scientific research, etc.).

Diplomatic, special or official passport holders, please contact us.

NOTE: Valid United States green card holders traveling on a cruise ship (French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, Mayotte) do not need a visa if you are entering and leaving by sea.

If you are flying into the French overseas territories before and/or after taking a cruise, you need a visa.

-  B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.

3 — Is a Schengen visa issued by a French consulate for several years valid for the French overseas territories?

It depends on the visa that was issued and your country of citizenship, please send us an e-mail with the photocopy of the Schengen visa.


- About one week
- Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute.
- You may apply for your visa no earlier than 3 months before your departure date..

IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the month of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, please apply in advance.


Please provide us with the ORIGINAL + 1 COPY of each document PER APPLICANT including passport and relevant pages.
One passport = one set of visa documents (i.e. a family of 4 visa applicants = 4 sets of visa documents)


PDF - 359.3 kb
TOM Application Requirements (click to download)
(PDF - 359.3 kb)

You may apply for your visa NO EARLIER THAN 3 MONTHS before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.


The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
- Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
- The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
- Please note that holders of French Polynesia visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into French Polynesia.


Every applicant must apply in person and must make an appointment on our website. No exceptions. Fingerprints and a photograph must be taken in our premises.
  • Children under the age of 12 are not required to be present if applying for a short stay visa (but an appointment must be booked under their name)
  • If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”. You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.

- One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)

  • FOR MINOR APPLICANTS: a parent or guardian over the age of 18 must be present with the applicant on the day of the appointment , however the parent or guardian is not required to make an appointment.
  • Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day or on two different dates.


WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
  • Adobe Acrobat reader
  • Allow pop-ups

NOTE: Any appointments taken for a French citizen will automatically be cancelled.


Last modified on 10/08/2017

top of the page