Long stay visa for studies
During the validity of their visa, holders of a long stay (D) visa are authorized to travel within the other Schengen States without a Schengen visa (for a maximum of 90 days within a six month period)
If you plan to stay in France mainly for a sabbatical stay but you are taking a French language class part-time and staying also for tourism, you should apply for a long stay "visitor" visa.
YES, except if you are a citizen of one of the following countries:
|Monaco||The Netherlands||Norway||Poland||Portugal||Romania||San Marino|
B1-B2 visa holders: You must apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
About 14 to 20 calendar days once a complete file has been presented by the applicant. Incomplete file cannot be processed.
Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute. You may apply no earlier than 3 months before your departure date.
Due to a high number of applicants and limited appointment slots during the months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, we strongly suggest to apply at least 30 days before your departure or if possible as soon as you have all the documents in order to avoid delays. There is no expedite process.
We insist that you take the utmost care of presenting a complete visa application on the day of your appointment. Our office is not responsible for delays or missed flights of incomplete or last minute visa application, it is the responsibility of the visa applicant to prepare a complete file PRIOR to the visa appointment time. Your file must be organized and legible, we must be able to easily find your name in each document, dates and any important information pertaining to the documents.
- Application requirements student visa (click to download)
- (PDF - 481.8 kb)
If you have difficulty downloading the forms found on the "application requirements student visa" list above, you can download them below:
- Long stay visa - Application Form (in English)
- (PDF - 28.4 kb)
- Notary form
- (PDF - 135 kb)
- Long stay or "temporary stay" form
- (PDF - 77.4 kb)
- OFII Form
- version 2017 (PDF - 396.8 kb)
- Payment Authorization Form + photocopy of the cardholder’s driver’s license or state ID
- (PDF - 13 kb)
Refugee travel documents and US Re-entry permits are not accepted.
Diplomatic and special passports are not accepted
- The consular administration has full authority to evaluate AND REQUEST MORE DOCUMENTS than those submitted by the applicant.
- Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
- The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.