Long stay visa for "Au Pair"
Long stay "au pair" visa holders will be allowed to reside in France according to the length of their work contract "accord de placement".
Long stay visa holders will have to register to the French Office of Immigration and Integration (OFII) during the first three months of their stay in France. For further information, please check the residence permit page.
During the validity of their visa, holders of a long stay (D) visa are authorized to travel within the other Schengen States without a Schengen visa (for a maximum of 90 days within a six month period)
YES, except if you are a citizen of one of the following countries:
|Monaco||The Netherlands||Norway||Poland||Portugal||Romania||San Marino|
You must obtain your "étudiant" Au Pair visa while in the USA. The visa cannot be issued once the applicant is in France.
- An "au pair" is a student, between 17 and 30 years old, who lives in France with a host family.
- The family provides accomodation (individual room), food and a small monetary allowance for personal use. In exchange, the student is expected to provide a contribution to daily family tasks such as: baby-sitting, supervision and children’s awakening, daily cooking, little housework…
- Students participating in "au pair" programs are required to follow French courses in France during their stay.
The visa issued is a "étudiant" visa.
Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply no earlier than 3 months before your departure date.
About 10-14 days for U.S citizens
Minimum 2 weeks for other nationalities
IMPORTANT: Due to the higher number of applicants during the months of July, August and December, please apply at least 3 weeks before your departure. No emergency visas will be issued.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES
1 — PROOF OF RESIDENCY IN OUR CONSULATE’S JURISDICTION
We only accept residents from Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California and Southern Nevada. Please note you will have to show us a driver license from one of these states (for students : driver license or student ID from school located in one of these states).
2 — ORIGINAL PASSPORT
Original passport (+ ONE COPY of the identity or relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are NOT suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago (date of first issuance)
- Be in good condition (i.e. not torn or damaged)
Diplomatic and special passports are not accepted
If you are not a U.S. citizen please include:
- A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") (+ ONE COPY)
- or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 and valid I-20. (+ ONE COPY of each)
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
3 — LONG STAY VISA APPLICATION FORM
One long stay visa APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant. Please remember to indicate a date of departure from the US to France on question number 26.
4 — PROCESSING FEES FOR A LONG STAY STUDENT VISA
Processing fee (full fee for a long stay visa)
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa/Mastercard ONLY, by debit card).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
NO cash, NO money order, NO checks.
Note: If someone other than the applicant is paying for the application fees (father or mother), they will need to fill out a credit card payment authorization form
+ photocopy of the cardholder’s driver’s license or state ID
5 — PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPHS
One PASSPORT PHOTO. Do not glu or staple. All photographs must be recent, in color on a plain white background, of full front view, taken facing the camera. No side or angled view are acceptable. Passport size. No hat, no veil.
6 — OFII RESIDENCE FORM
7 — ORIGINAL "ACCORD DE PLACEMENT" / AU PAIR CONTRACT
ORIGINAL "Au Pair" Contract "ACCORD DE PLACEMENT" stamped and approved by the French Ministry of Labour. (+ ONE COPY)
- This contract is obtained by the host family in France at the "Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Consommation, du Travail et de l’Emploi’" DIRECCTE (French Labor Department). The contract must be stamped by the DIRECCTE on the last page.
- YOU MUST PROVIDE THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. We will NOT accept your application if you only provide photocopies or scans.
8 — PROOF OF YOUR STUDENT STATUS
Attestation from your School or University in the USA or if you have recently graduated, your last diploma or your last transcript. (+ ONE COPY)
9 — PROOF OF REGISTRATION IN A FRENCH LANGUAGE SCHOOL
Proof of registration in a French language school or a letter of enrollment in a French language school in FRANCE (and in France only) specifying exact dates of attendance (please note that these dates must match the length of your "au pair" contract. (+ ONE COPY)
10— IN ORDER TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT MAILED BACK TO YOU PLEASE BRING
A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" and FedEx enveloppe for the mailing of your passport in the United States, or a prepaid online FedEx Express Airbill.
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
- We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground/Home" or International service)
Please do NOT write the address of the consulate on the airbill
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, family of four must take four appointments)
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers