Short stay visa for family members of other European passport holders
Does NOT apply to spouses or family members of FRENCH passport holders, please follow the instructions for a short stay visa for spouses of French nationals or Short stay visa for parent (father/mother) of French nationals (18 years old or older)
YES you need a visa, if you are a citizen of the following countries:
*BAHREIN, OMAN, QATAR: no visa required for stays of up to 90 days for Diplomatic/special passport holders. (Valid for France ONLY; does not apply to other Schengen countries).
*ALBANIA, BOSNIA, MACEDONIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport.
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth).
NO, if you are a citizen of the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, or countries not listed just above. You may stay up to 90 days per semester.
B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
Processing time depends on your citizenship :
A minimum of 15 days processing time if you are a citizen from :
You may apply for your visa no earlier than 3 months before your departure date.
For all other nationalities, we strongly suggest to apply at least 2 weeks before your departure.
Do not wait for the last minute. Please, apply in advance.
Please provide us with the ORIGINAL + 1 COPY of each document including passeport and relevant pages.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES.
You must bring your documents and the required copies otherwise your visa will automatically be denied
1 — Proof of residency in our consulate’s jurisdiction
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents:
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map)
- or a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction).
- or an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction.
2 — Original passport
Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
- Be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
3 — Proof of legal residency in the United States
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document. (+ ONE COPY)
- If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence.
NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
4 — Short stay "Schengen" visa application form
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
- Please also fill out question 31 or 32
5 — Passport photograph
6 — Proof of marriage
Original marriage certificate (+ ONE COPY)
7 — Proof of European nationality of spouse
Your spouse’s passport (+ ONE COPY)
IF YOU WISH TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT MAILED BACK TO YOU
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground" service)
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
All applicants must apply in person and must make an appointment on our website. Personal appearance is mandatory.
We regret that at this time we do not accept appointments over the phone or via email.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, family of four must take four appointments)
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers
CLICK HERE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AT THE VISA SECTION
NOTE: FRENCH CITIZENS applying for a French passport or a French ID please make an appointment at the FRENCH SECTION - DO NOT make an appointment at the VISA SECTION.